I suppose its a bit cliche but New Years Eve this year will be a time of reflection for moi.
Maybe years gone by would have been witness to a broken heel, perhaps some eyeliner smeared across a cheek or some such similar symbol of a drunken good time. But since this year will be spent snuggling with my boys – champers in hand, fuzzy socks on, natch – I’ll have some time to think about how the year was and what some resolutions could be.
I used to be resolutely (har har) anti-resolution because I guess its a bit forced and most people tend to forget by March what it was they were improving anyways.
Anyways having said that, no time like the present to put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) and figure out what I would love to try to work on this year:
1. Patience – One of the major lessons I’ve learned from being a parent so far is how to have patience. In many respects I’m one of the most impatient people around. I’d love to be able to let go more and just go with the flow.
2. Buying Ridiculous Baby Stuff – I love my baby gear as much as the next person (okay fine, maybe a tad more) but the shopaholic in me has led to some pretty silly purchases that have sat unused in the back of H’s closet with tags still attached. Since having a child can be costly enough, I vow to try to cut down on unnecessary baby-related products! (note the exclamation mark, I am really quite emphatic about this one)
3. Making More Me Time – I know this seems like it shouldn’t really be a NY reso but it is for this mama. As a new mom I think I felt that the only person who could give H the proper care was me. This inevitably led to unavoidable super crustiness and irritability from being overtired and feeling like I was ‘doing everything’. Now that he’s entered toddlerhood I realize I need to take it down a notch and let go so that I can get some Me time. This will be helpful I’m sure in avoiding martyr-like declarations of “I never have time to myself!”
4. Drink more water. I’m SO bad at this.
5. Be more diligent about posting. I’ve been a bit scattered lately about that and I apologize! (again, the exclamation mark)
6. Remember and Be Thankful – As much as times can be tough, I think its paramount to take a step back and remember what to be thankful for and how lucky we are. You can eat some crackers with this cheese but it really is true.
Anyways – I really hope that all of youse have enjoyed some QT with your fam and friends and that whatever the New Year brings that we can face it all with courage, strength, grace and a smile!
Next thing ya know, we’ll all be 80 and sitting around kvetching about the good ole days…so Happy New Year and enjoy it!
Enjoy this video of my girl crush. Possibly the cutest rendition I’ve heard of this song.